Work Education Agreement Ontario

If a physician requires medical treatment beyond first aid, or if the injury or illness results in a loss of time during the practicum, the school board representative must send a report (as outlined below) to the FASC. Since accident reporting procedures require students` Social Security numbers, it is recommended that all students involved in vocational training or expercable learning programs where the student is considered an employee have a Social Security number. This memorandum provides instructions to school authorities and schools regarding coverage under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act 1997 (WSIA) for students, including adult learners, who participate in various on-the-job training programs (also known as experiential learning programs) where the student is considered an employee. These programs include short-term opportunities such as work experience, longer-term opportunities such as cooperative education, and internships, which may include some or all of the individualized programs of some supervised alternative learning (SAL) students. Interested parties must complete and sign a Vocational Training Agreement form before the student begins the on-the-job training program to ensure that CSASE coverage is provided by the Ministry of Education. 1. Education Act, R.S.O. 1990, paragraph 8, paragraph 1, paragraph 9. 2. Most Ontario businesses that employ workers are required to register with the CSASE, but there are a few exceptions, such as . B banks. For more information, visit the CSASE website. 3.

Since students are generally not insured in such cases, school authorities should provide information about student accident insurance to students participating in these programs and their parents. 4. In this memorandum, parent(s) means parent(s) and guardian(s). 5. Parental consent is required, although the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) of 1990 gives students sixteen years of age and older the right to the protection of their personal information. The WEA form must be completed for all students participating in work or experser learning programs. For students who do not receive a salary or are not covered by their employer, completing this form constitutes the agreement that the Ministry of Education is responsible for covering CSASA benefits. For students who receive a salary and are insured by their employer, completing the form determines that the employer is responsible for providing WSIA coverage. School boards must use a separate weA form for each student. Students participating in work pedagogy or experiential learning programs must be at least fourteen years of age. Before a student is placed with an employer, school boards must decide whether the student is covered by the Ministry of Education or the placement employer for Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (FASF) benefits.

In most cases, coverage for these students is provided by the Ministry, but school authorities, with the support of placement employers, must ensure that CSASAT requirements are properly met before and during internships. Students who participate in vocational training or expercable learning programs and do not receive a salary are considered employees of the Ministry of Education for the purposes of WSIA coverage once the Workplace Training Agreement (WEA) form is completed and the internship begins (see the “Obtaining WSIA Coverage” section below). .